What is OpenCUNY?
OpenCUNY is a student organized, open-source WordPress platform where you can build your own site for free. Learn more here.
Who can join?
Anyone with a Graduate Center email address can join. If you’re working on a project with folks outside of the Graduate Center, contact us. Accounts for non-Graduate Center students are granted on a case by case basis by the two OpenCUNY coordinators.
Why should I use OpenCUNY and not some other platform?
- OpenCUNY is committed to using and advocating for open-source digital media.
- OpenCUNY actively involves its members, who participate in the development of our own Terms of Participation.
- On OpenCUNY, you own your own data and can transfer it elsewhere.
Do I need to know HTML/code?
Nope. OpenCUNY runs on a WordPress multisite installation, which is easy/breezy to use and learn—no HTML required.
What kind of sites can I build?
If you can dream it, you can build it! OpenCUNY Participants have built sites for chartered organizations, student associations, GC-based courses, student-run conferences, graduate research, health initiatives, student activism, personal portfolios, and an array of DSC initiatives.
What will my URL be?
Your URL will be opencuny.org/yourtitle. If you want to have your own domain, you can purchase one and get it mapped to your OpenCUNY account. See more information here.
Where can I get help with my WordPress questions?
We’ve put together a collection of answers to some basic questions here. WordPress.tv has a bunch of short instructional videos and the WordPress.org forums are also a great resource. Of course, both of the OpenCUNY coordinators are also more than willing to field any questions.
What if I need a theme or plugin that’s not on the OpenCUNY system?
We have forms where you can requests plugins and themes that you’ve found on the WordPress.org site. We’re also happy to help advise about plugins and themes if you’re not quite sure what you want.
- Dagny Stuedahl (3 of 3): Nordic Approaches to Participatory Cultural Heritage Enhanced by Digital Media April 26, 2012 OPENCUNY.ORG
- Dagny Stuedahl (2 of 3): Nordic Approaches to Participatory Cultural Heritage Enhanced by Digital Media April 26, 2012 OPENCUNY.ORG
- Dagny Stuedahl (1 of 3): Nordic Approaches to Participatory Cultural Heritage Enhanced by Digital Media April 25, 2012 OPENCUNY.ORG