The following five plugin types are some basic ones that participants often use on their sites.
- WP Jetpack—Adds many great features that are built-in to WordPress.com blogs, like social media integration, site visitor statistics, contact forms, enhanced gallery features, custom CSS, shortcode embeds, etc. This is the first plugin that many sites activate to begin adding additional features.
- Google Doc Embedder—This plugin will allow you to display a PDF or other document in a viewable window on the site.
- Leaflet Maps Marker—This is one of a number of plugins that you can use to make/embed maps into a site.
- Google Calendar Events/The Events Calendar—These are two plugins that will allow you to create and display calendars of events on your site. The Google Calendar Events feeds from a specified Google Calendar, while you can create and edit the features of your events in an Events menu in the Dashboard when you use The Events Calendar.
- All in One SEO Pack—This plugin will allow you to track and improve how well your site is getting indexed by search engines (SEO=search engine optimization). There are general settings you can modify, as well as fields to fill in for each page and post.